Wednesday, July 8, 2015

National Infrastructure Week -- the ironies

I certainly appreciate anybody who wants to draw public attention to the deplorable state of public infrastructure in this country. But I also pity them as long as this "100-year war on terror" garbage is holding sway!

https://hbr.org/2015/05/what-it-will-take-to-fix-americas-crumbling-infrastructure
May 11-15 is national Infrastructure Week in the U.S., but don’t get out the party hats. It’s not a celebration. It’s more like a cry for help. Bridges are crumbling, buses are past their prime, roads badly need repair, airports look shabby, trains can’t reach high speeds, and traffic congestion plagues every city. How could an advanced country, once the model for the world’s most modern transportation innovations, slip so badly?.........

Takes me back to a protest against this "war" that we held some years ago. A guy on a motorcycle paused at the light and smirked at me. "I was just over in Iraq building bridges and schools,"
he said, obviously trying to cancel all pro-peace argument with this revelation. I managed not to say "I guess we don't need those things here, huh?" but only because I'm trying to be good in these latter years.

/\/.\/\/.

No comments: